I’m about to annoy the hell out of most of you. Personally, I don’t really care.
Three hurricanes and an (at least) 8.0 Earthquake off the coast of Mexico.
An entire Caribbean island has been wiped off the map.
Thousands of homes are under water, or clogged by sands.
This isn’t the world I grew up knowing.
So here we go…this is my annoying, liberal, hippy propaganda. Because I want my children, if I ever decide to have any at all, to have a place to love and enjoy. I want them to climb the same mountains I’ve climbed, to stare down in awe and wonder at the majesties of nature. They should have something.
This is my PSA. Ten things you can do to make an actual, real, palpable difference. And guess what? They’re not that hard. I’m not even advocating solar plates or vegan lifestyles. Just small changes. Habits. Little modifications of daily routines please for the love of our very existence care about something other than yourself.
- Change your damn light bulbs. I’ll even do it for you. Ditch the incandescent for the fluorescent they consume a quarter of the energy. Home Depot, OSH, Lowe’s, even the supermarket down the road has options. They’re not overpriced. I’ll even Prime them to you.
- Turn off your shit when you leave your house. That’s it. It’s that simple. When you go, the lights go off. Do it. Now. And during the day? Open the drapes, the curtains. Use some natural light. You don’t need a desk lamp at noon.
- Plant trees. At every opportunity scatter seeds in the ground plant them everywhere let their roots soak deeply in the earth. One day, maybe far from now, but one day, we will need that oxygen.
- Turn off your water. Don’t run it while you’re brushing your teeth. Don’t leave it flowing while you wait for your shower to heat up. Your car doesn’t need to sparkle every damned day of the week. I mean, let’s be honest, it’s a heap of metal. Who expects it to be clean? Turn the water off.
- Recycle. Don’t be that asshole.
- Ride share. Carpool. This doesn’t work for everyone, I get that. But try. Like me? I’m going to buy a bike and bike to work. I’m extreme, though. And a little hippie freak. I’m not telling you to do that. But, like, share a damned ride. Uber pool, my friends, Uber pool.
- Get your oil changed! Fill your tires! Change air filters! Your car needs to be healthy. You need to be healthy. The healthier the car, the less emissions. Besides, it will cost you less in the end.
- Reuse your towel. Sure, every Buzzfeed article teaches you all about bacteria that spreads when you reuse towels but when the apocalypse hits you have way more to fear than some damp fabrics sitting in your bathroom (like mass contagion and human virus???!). I’ve been reusing towels for decades and I haven’t caught sick in several years *knock on wood. I’m not telling you to turn your underwear inside out and backwards and forwards but come on, chill on the washing.
- Eat less meat. I’m not saying cut it out. I’m not preaching I’m not PETA I don’t and never have condemned meat eaters. Enjoy. Bacon is the fruit of the gods. But maybe, just maybe, you don’t need it every day?
- Paper towels are the devil. There, I’ve said it. But come on, just use a damned dish towel. Or, if you must have paper towels, buy some made from recycled fabrics. Like, they’re a dollar more at the market I will personally send you that dollar if you so choose to purchase them.
Please. I love this earth. I know each of you, in turn, do as well. There is too much magic here to be wasted. Take a moment. Step outside. Feel the soil squeeze beneath the lining of your toes breathe in something real rake your fingers through the dirt and let it linger there amongst the grooves of skin. This is too precious to waste. I am begging you. Small changes yield big results. Try. Just a bit harder. But try. If there’s a single thing I know, it’s that human beings breed resolve. We breed determination. We breed results. Let’s get to it, then. Make it happen.